Informed Consent Statement
Developmental Services of Leeds and Grenville understands the importance of obtaining informed consent from you for all services and support
provided, as well as, when releasing and exchanging information about you. We will make every effort to ensure that you have provided informed
consent prior to initiating any service and support or releasing and exchanging information. We will maintain all consent forms on your file
(in instances where verbal consent is provided it will be documented in case progress notes).
The following tools/guidelines are available to assist when acquiring informed consent:
1. Written consent for service, consent to release and exchange information, and consent for the use of restrictive measures standardized forms.
2. We encourage you to use plain language when explaining the purpose of consent for the services and supports provided.
3. The use of pictorial versions of consent is to be used when necessary to assist in accessibility and in the acquisition of informed consent.
4. We encourage you to check for comprehension and understanding of information presented by asking questions and confirming with the individual the
understanding of the information provided.
5. Provide the individual with opportunity to ask questions and seek clarification in relation to the consents they are signing.
6. In instances where there is a concern about the capacity to provide informed consent the staff person will seek out Substitute Decision
Maker consent when necessary.
If you have a concern and/or wish to make a complaint to DSLG about our privacy practices, including asking questions about the contents
of our records, you may make a request in writing to the attention of the Executive Director.